Saturday, January 9, 2010

Sisterly Love


A few weeks after my fourth birthday, my parents gave me a sister. I'm positive that I did not ask for this new 'bundle of joy', but there she was in all of her pink glory. We fought most of our childhood; sometimes it was pretty brutal. I down right could not stand her, and I think she felt the same way about me. Oh sure there were times we got along, but if you ask my parents, I am thinking the cat-fights outweighed all others! This "relationship" continued for years, and I honestly can't pinpoint when it began to change, though I do recall that it seemed better the second I moved away from home! So, with that kind of lovely history, would you believe that she is my very best girl-friend of all time? It's true. Do I dare say it- she's my bestie! I like to think that it was heavenly intervention, or possibly the countless lectures we got from our Papa about how 'important it was to get along'. By the way- I hated those talks, but I loved my grandfather- so I stood there and shook my head yes.


A few weeks before Haley's third birthday, we gave her a sister. I'm positive she did not ask for this new 'bundle' of joy, but there Kaitlyn was in all of her pink glory. It has been almost a year since Kaitlyn was born and the little arguments over toys and space has already begun. Kaitlyn finds a toy, Haley takes the toy, Kaitlyn screams. Haley finds a toy, Kaitlyn tries to take it, Haley screams. I know the cycle all too well. Remember, I have been there before. This time though, I hope that I have the tools to combat the sister-fights, always keeping in mind that twenty years down the road they may just be the best of friends. Nothing would make this mom's heart happier.

No comments:

Post a Comment