Sunday, January 17, 2010

And the list goes on...

I couldn't sleep tonight. At all. I think my baby has destroyed my sleep pattern, or maybe I just have too many thoughts on the brain. Either way there was no dreamland in sight for me, so I started my to-do list. Numero uno- scrub the girl's bathtub. (Isn't that what you do when you can't sleep?)I pulled out my scrubbing team: comet, scrubby sponge, *toothbrush. Then I got to work... As I was scrubbing all of the dirty nooks and crannies with my trusty toothbrush, I thought of my mom. After all, she is the one who taught me about this brilliant little cleaning tool. My mind started to drift off into memory-ville and I thought about all of the things she has taught me. How to pray, how to fold clothes, how to sew, how to love... the list goes forever on. I thought of the lessons that I need to teach my own girls; a seemingly never ending, eternal list. As mothers we try our best to teach our children all of the important lessons of life, and just when it starts to seem impossible,the Lord sends in His helpers.

I thought about all of the amazing women in my life -past and present- who have been a part of teaching me essential lessons, both life-long and eternal. There must be hundreds! Hundreds of wonderful women- some old, some young, some childless, some plentiful, some full of wisdom, some sad, some grieving, some joyful, some strong, some funny, some educated, some not - but all cherished helpers of our Heavenly Father. To these women, I am so very thankful for the lessons you have taught me. I will be forever grateful for your generous hearts, understanding ears, selfless ways, thoughtful minds, willingness to share and your unwavering desires to teach girls like me. My life is better because of you.

Thank you Shelia, Ardie, Laurie, Rebekah, Twyla, Jodi, Doris, Natalie, Kristi, Cinda, Christy, Sherri, Melissa, Aundrea, Tauna, Hannah, Molly, Kaylonnie, Cheri, Colleen, Katie, Sydney, Jennifer, Courtney, Wanda, Judy, Kerri, Stephenie, Wendy, Marie, Samantha, Liz, Amanda, Cory, Amie, Amy, Jen, Brittany, Christie, Summer, Jo, Kat...and the list goes on.

Knowing that these women (or women like them) are close at hand for my girls helps me feel much more able to handle the joyous and draining world of motherhood!

*I must stress that I only use this toothbrush for cleaning purposes. I have another for my pearly whites!

2 comments:

  1. Love you tons, Rachel. You are an amazing woman and a fantastic Mommy. Some day your girls will be scrubbing away thinking about all the wonderful things YOU taught them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww...I love you, too!! Thank you for including me in that awesome list!!

    ReplyDelete